It is written:
Jude 10-But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves.
In my last brief article, I shared a simple argument with you that I intend now to demonstrate the truthfulness of.
1. If the Bible contains traits which may only be explained by Divine inspiration, then the Bible is the Word of God.
2. The Bible contains traits which may only be explained by Divine inspiration.
3. Therefore, the Bible is the Word of God.
Now, it is here that we need to consider the important role that logic and reason have in this discussion. As we have ascertained, there is a Creator to the universe. To quote what you said about the universe once more:
“I can tell a genius man designed it
It’s truly mind blowing, I can’t deny it.”
I agree completely!
Now, since we can clearly discern through the creation that there is a Creator, it only seems logical to believe that such a Creator has the ability to communicate with His creation.
But what standard must mankind use to discern such a revelation?
Some would argue that we should simply accept what we “feel” is right. However, emotionalism is not a reliable guide. Emotion is fallible, since a person’s emotions fluctuate depending on one’s subjective experiences.
This leaves us only with the medium of logic and reason. One of the most important things which sets mankind apart from the animal world is his ability for higher reasoning and logical thinking. As such, if we are going to discern the Volume of communication which God has used to communicate with mankind, then it must be one which is able to be authenticated and guided through reason.
Yet what if the revelation that we examine makes extraordinary claims?
Is it rational to believe in a Book which speaks of supernatural events?
After all, as you have said in your lyrics:
“You haven’t been chatting with me like you did Adam and Eve
And I ain’t seen no f____________ talking snake unravel from trees
With an apple to eat, that s________ never happens to me.”
Should we immediately dismiss the Bible because it contains accounts which go beyond our full ability to understand?
No, we should not.
The fact is, the Creator of the universe must by definition operate in the supernatural (i.e., beyond the natural) realm with its’ natural laws at time. This is for the simple reason that the laws of nature were not in operation until God made the universe!
One author has stated it well:
“Many attributes of the creator remain unknown or hidden, but there are some conclusions that we can reasonably draw from what we know. As the universe was produced by a creative act, it is reasonable to infer that it was produced by some sort of mind. Mind is the origin of matter, and it is mind that produced matter, rather than the other way around. As the universe comprises the totality of nature, containing everything that is natural, its creator must necessarily be outside nature. As the creator used no natural laws or forces to create the universe, the creator is clearly supernatural. As space and time are within the universe, the creator is also outside space and time, which is to say, eternal. As the universe is material, the creator is immaterial, which is to say, spiritual. As the universe was created from nothing, the creator is incomprehensibly powerful or, as best as we can tell, omnipotent.” (Dinesh D’Souza, What’s So Great About Christianity, 126 (Kindle Edition); Washington, DC; Regnery Publishing, Inc.)
Frankly, it should be surprising to investigate a religious document claiming to be from God if it did not contain any references to Divine activity operating outside the realm of nature, and transcending its’ laws (i.e., miracles).
On the other hand, it would be shortsighted to blindly accept a claim of miraculous events simply because some document claims that such took place.
What then are we to do?
We must use our abilities of reason and logic to determine if the accounts and claims of a Book are indeed based in reality.
As Hailey has well said:
“The function of reason per se is not to determine whether the fact was possible or impossible. Reason cannot determine whether one could begotten in the womb of a woman unimpregnated by the male sperm, or whether a dead body could be raised to life again. Rather, its function is to weigh the evidence that claims to sustain the facts. Reason must sit in judgment on the evidence and determine it valid or invalid, trustworthy or untrustworthy, strong or weak. When it has done this and has deduced a conclusion on the weight of the evidence, it has served its purpose. Will must then take over.” (Homer Hailey, That You May Believe, 19; Las Vegas, Nevada; Nevada Publications).
I will now present you several evidences, Mr. Hopson, that the Bible is indeed the Word of God. With each evidence presented, I will also share several links to further studies from my webpage of similar evidences for you to investigate at your convenience.
Please use your reasoning ability to weigh the evidence.
Proof One: A Theistic Proof That The Bible Is The Word Of God
The first proof that we will examine is one that I term a “theistic” proof that the Bible is the Word of God. The word “theistic” comes from the Greek word theos, which means “God.”
Basically, this argument is built upon the fact that the God which has made the universe has revealed Himself to mankind through the universe in a general way: and that the characteristics of this God revealed by nature are identical with the God described in the Bible.
From nature, we can learn the following characteristics of God:
1. God is eternal. If there was ever a time when there was absolutely nothing, then nothing would exist now. Yet something does exist now (i.e., we exist). Therefore, something has always existed (i.e., had the characteristic of being eternal). But we know that the universe is not eternal (the laws of science, as well as the conclusions of logical reasoning confirm this). Therefore something beyond the universe is eternal.
2. Since God is eternal, then it follows that He must be fully self-sufficient. He depends upon nothing outside of Himself for existence, for if He did, then He would simply be another part of the contingent universe.
3. The self-sufficient Nature of God also argues that He is completely perfect in all of His attributes. An imperfection is that which is lacking; yet you cannot be fully self-sufficient and lacking in some way. Therefore, God is perfect.
4. God is immaterial (i.e., not having a physical body). The universe of matter had a definite beginning point. Yet God is eternal, having no beginning. Therefore, God is immaterial.
5. God is non-spatial (existing outside of space). The reason for this is the same as above: space had a beginning point. Since God is eternal, however, then He exists outside of space.
6. God is timeless (existing outside of time). Since we know that time had a beginning as well as matter and space, we also realize that God is timeless.
7. The Creator must be changeless. Change is simply the progression of something from one moment to the next. However, since God is outside of time, then He must be changeless.
8. Nature reveals that the Creator is morally good in His Nature. We know this from the existence of the prescriptive moral law within humanity. This moral law does not describe what IS, but what OUGHT to be. It teaches mankind of how he SHOULD behave. Furthermore, evil (by its very nature) cannot exist without there first being a standard of goodness by which the evil is judged. This is why God must be good in HIs Nature.
9. God must be intelligent. The reason for this is simple enough: the intricate laws of nature are balanced to an astonishing degree. This points back to the Creator Who is more intelligent than we can even begin to imagine.
10. God must be powerful. Again, the reasons for this is simple enough. The finite universe is more powerful than we can imagine-and this points to a God Who is more powerful than the universe Who has made it.
11. Finally, this God must be a Person. The reason for this is that the Creator CHOSE to create the universe. This speaks of Personhood.
Now, all of these characteristics of God as revealed through nature line up with the God described in the Bible. God is eternal (Psalm 102:25-27), self-sufficient (Acts 17:25), perfect (Deuteronomy 32:4), immaterial (John 4:23-24), non-spatial (Psalm 139:5-12), timeless (2 Peter 3:8), changeless (Malachi 3:6), good (Psalm 119:68), intelligent (1 John 3:20), powerful (Jeremiah 32:17), and personal (Jeremiah 9:23-24).
The God of Creation lines up perfectly with the God revealed in Scripture.
For further study:
Proof Two: A Systematic Proof That The Bible Is The Word Of God
Another powerful evidence that demonstrates that the Bible is the Word of God comes from its’ amazing unity. Simply stated, the Bible is a Book of 66 Books written by 40 men over a period of some 1600 years. The men wrote in three primary languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic) with evidence of other words being used therein as well (Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, etc.). Some of these men were fishermen, some poets, some Prophets, some kings, some physicians, some shepherds, some soldiers, some priests, and some scribes. Some lived during different political reigns, in times of war, in horrible circumstances of plague, famine, drought, persecution; while others lived in times of peace, plenty, abundance, health, prosperity, and fortune. Some were men of learning, having received higher education from popular and prestigious schools of their day and age, while others had no formal education whatsoever. Some of the writers of the Bible were family men with wives, children, and grandchildren; others were single with no offspring.
With the many diverse characteristics of these Writings, you would expect them to be one huge mass of illogical ramblings and contradictions. Yet that is not what one finds! Instead, there is a unity of purpose and theme which encircles the Bible, interwoven within its’ sacred pages, pointing to a common theme and Person: Jesus Christ. This supernatural unity may only be explained by Divine inspiration!
For further study:
Proof Three: A Scientific Proof That The Bible Is The Word Of God
The Bible writers understood scientific facts which were well in advance of their day and age. We are talking about things like the rotundity of the Earth, the expansion of the universe, the life-giving properties of blood, medical practices such as quarantine, the value of masks during times of infection, the laws of thermodynamics, the law of biogenesis, etc.
Many of these things were not known from science until the last hundred years or so; and yet the writers of the Bible knew these things, some as far back as over a thousand years before Christ was even born into the world!
For further study:
Proof Four: An Equidistant Proof That The Bible Is The Word Of God
Long ago, Jewish rabbis noticed that when a person skips an equal number of spaces between the letters of the Old Testament Scriptures, one is able to discern amazing patterns and messages. For a long time, these “Bible codes” were recognized but were often overlooked as coincidence. However, thanks especially to the advent of the computer age, researchers are able to find astonishing codes and patterns embedded within the Old Testament Scriptures. Even more amazing, many of these codes were written into the text and were found to be prophetic in that they pointed to the future!
Researchers were not able to find these codes within any other religious document except the Bible. This is indeed another evidence that the Bible is the Word of God.
For further study:
Proof Five: A Prophetic Proof That The Bible Is The Word Of God
One of the greatest evidences that the Bible is the Word of God comes from the field of prophecy and fulfillment.
Throughout time, God has endowed His Prophets with the ability to see into the future and describe certain events so that when they take place, people would know that this was truly a Prophet of God who had been in their midst. Indeed, often in the Old Testament, God would challenge the false gods and their prophets to describe events that would take place in the future as proof that they were truly Divine.
None could do!
Yet God was able to pass this test.
For further study:
Proof Six: An Archaeological Proof
The field of archaeology has continually confirmed that the Bible is historically accurate. I suspect that you will especially appreciate this section Mr. Hopson, since you say in your song:
“My gut feeling says it’s all fake, I hate to say it but f________ it, s________ I done lost faith
This isn’t a small phase, my perspective’s all changed
My thoughts just keep picking s__________ apart all day
And in my mind I make perfect sense.”
I will include numerous evidences here for you to consider.
For further study:
Proof Seven: A Miraculous Proof
Throughout time, God has authenticated His Word miraculously (i.e., through events which transcend the laws of nature).
For Further Study:
Mr. Hopson, I have tried to present you with several evidences which demonstrate that the Bible is, indeed, the Word of God (as it claims to be). In my next article, I will answer your question about whether or not Jesus is a ‘facade,’ and if perhaps Christianity is actually some kind of government conspiracy. To be thorough, we will address several modern day conspiracy theories about the Bible and Jesus Christ as well.
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, be with you all. Amen.